Tuesday, February 21, 2012

For GB...

Spiritual leaders made of the same clay as you and I often disappoint. None of us I know are perfect, and whatever faith anyone has is twisted and corrupted into a vile mash of culture, narrow-mindedness, and personal selection—“Pro-Life” supporters of Capital punishment, or aggressive militarism for example. This is so much unevenness, so much inconsistency that I tend sometimes not to trust those who mark the “word of God” in any way, especially when they contort it to fit their convenient and selective ideology. To say I despise some of those in the corruption of their endeavors is not strong enough to really evidence my complete disgust.  For if that is faith, then the word holds no meaning, or practical purpose, and certainly not a shred of real love.


 My own faith is no longer strong. I no longer rationalize the hurt that I see in the context of a loving and especially engaged God.  Church people have done horrific things just in my time on this planet. While I comprehend the human failure there, and understand the blamelessness a conceivable  almighty has in places like Cambodia, Congo, Burma, South Africa, or Birmingham, Alabama, the logic in my mind does not attach well to a loving God who does not intercede to save those who cannot save themselves. People will say God answers your prayers, and when he does not well, that is just the mystery of “his” ways, but I find that so dissatisfying, even up to the point of absurdity.


So maybe I do not believe.


Yet there remains a faith thread, perhaps a strand of my evolutionary DNA, that vibrates with uncertainty just as I want to cast my lot full in with Christopher Hitchens, the recently deceased writer  and provocateur, who even in the hold of inoperable brain cancer with all around him advising otherwise, held to his belief that since God does not wait on the other side. Hitchens saw no reason to change what he believed, or said, or wrote and made that abundantly and repeatedly clear in his last months.  From a distance, I applauded his courageous and rational mind.


For the rational me, the thread of faith stretches to its maximum tension when I consider the scope of our known universe the near impossibility that our galaxy among the millions holds the theological secrets to every human, let alone every living creature across all the universes. The concept that the three “great” religions all sprung from a small scrap of our world and from that corner of desert wars have been waged for nearly all of recorded human history does not translate to me in any way as something aspirational. To the contrary, it is the history  of human narcissism and of course failure.


They says ashes to ashes and dust to dust, and I think, yes, I know, we are all made of the same dust, and when we die we will all go back to that same state. And then, from that same dust, the scraps of our existence, a new person will rise. So on the surface of it, the teachings of my youth, the repeated dogma, in the suffocating and suffocated church no longer hold any power over my intellect or my heart.  Sometimes, I think for all our human progress as creatures of this earth we are just such complete failures, and religion and religious pursuit is often at the top of our misguided efforts, Dr. King, and Mohandas Gandhi notwithstanding. All too often we act out of a sense of fear rather than one of love, and when fear rules the heart humans can rationalize almost anything. It has been said so often that has reached the point of extreme cliché, but the Jesus of the bible would not recognize the hateful distortions in his name, now 2,000 years later.


There are some that would call these views cynical, but I will tell you that I have grappled with this DNA for all my years. I was raised after all by a mother, who believed in the Almighty and “his” ability to transform lives. She took it as her mission to love her brother and sister as herself. That is part of who I am also. That is an example that sometimes shames me and my resurgent and often darkly held views. Too often I know that hope is barely alive, and optimism is only tentatively held in my psychic grasp. I know that shame offers nothing to build on, nothing really to hold or nurture, and optimism some days may be all you got to carry to tomorrow.  So here I sit on the razors edge of certainty, almost sure that there is a beginning, a middle, and an absolute end, almost sure that my rational mind can no longer connect to or understand faith in the spiritual sense. Like a dandelion seed on the wind I am almost cut loose to a narrative that is all more logical, and comprehensible, and random.


But alas, my seed has yet to sail. It is the one lone white stem still connected to this particular stalk. Perhaps there is an inevitability in the final result, but perhaps not. Maybe I hang on still to that thread of my DNA, because there are others around me, people who mean so much to me and who I am, who without guile or pretense talk of what they believe to be “good, fair, just, and Godly”. It makes me think. It made me think. It meant a lot to me in quiet times this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment