Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The Enemy of my Enemy is Not My Friend


Can all the liberals who are so anxious to dump on NJ Governor Chris Christie put a sock in it, at least until tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of people are out of harm’s way are at least have a roof over their head and something warm to eat?   

This is time to think about our brothers and sisters, both literally and figuratively and the cheap politicization of these events I have seen by some have sickened me to my core.  George Bush was asleep during Katrina, as were many local Democratic officials. To this day I cannot understand how Ray Naggin lives with himself. But from what I can see most all local and Federal officials have acted with great cooperation and diligence. If Christie and Bloomberg and Obama had been around during Katrina, we can be sure lives would have been saved.

For those of us who live in Metro New York, and perhaps millions across the country, there can be little doubt of the emotional distress Governor Christie feels for the destruction in his home state which he so clearly loves. I feel that pain too, for my home of fifteen years, Hoboken, which is decimated, as well as the Jersey shore, which has been the location of many happy memories for me and my family. Yet it appears that perhaps some people do not understand the extreme urgency of the situation, or that it is not close to over for many, many people.  

I know that Christie has said some mean stuff about the President. I know there are a lot of raw and hard feelings. I also know that Romney said some really stupid stuff about FEMA. Even that is beside the point right now, though I can appreciate what a fun parlor game it must be for those of you not trying to climb from the wreckage.  

If friggin’ Sarah Palin could somehow magically pluck my family members from the sewage in Hoboken tonight, I would kiss her on both cheeks. I still would not vote for her, ever, but I would be ever so grateful.

Some of you are no better than Ann Coulter in the absolute callousness you have shown for the situation. So anxious to make a point are you that the bitterness you leave in your wake breaks any connection to any spirit of community.  It is not for me to say what can be discussed or should not be talked about, and I understand this is the height of an extremely ugly political season, but at long last have we no humanity to spare or to share with our fellow citizens?
If this is the reflection of your politics, than I want no part of it. The enemy of my enemy is not my friend if there is no generosity of spirit, or empathy for the plight of those in deep suffering. Really, and I think at least some of you liberals know who you are, you sicken me.

No comments:

Post a Comment